Wednesday, February 09, 2011

naia

My head is very slowly coming out of new baby fog (very slowly as you will notice many typos around here, more than usual while I peck one handed and nurse at the same time).
And it occurred to me that I never explained the the wee one's name. We had a short list of names like many people do. And Zach had his own list (which included such zingers as Lasagna , Blade, Porthos, Athos, Aramis & Dartagnan, Emerald, Blue Lavender, and Ron Weasley).  It was strongly suggested by the family that we name her after my mom. But my mom HATED her name, and my step-dad sweetly reassured me that the best way to honor my mom was just to pick something pretty.

So while we were in Hawaii last year at this time during my first trimester, I jotted down many lovely Hawaiian names I heard floating around. And Naia was one of them.
In Hawaiian Naia (or Nai'a, and it rhymes with Maya) means dolphin. A watery name of course appealed to us. When we googled it further we found in various cultures and languages it also means flowing, water nymph, sea sprite, daughter of Poseidon (or at least my husband claims he found that last reference, but I think he rather fancies the idea of being Poseidon).

So our little dolphin baby who already loves to kick both legs strong and hard like a fluke and makes sweet little clicks and coos is living up to her name. And even if she decides to roam the desert one day and shun the ocean, that's ok too.

15 comments:

The Ceol Mors said...

I remember reading along while you were in Hawaii with Zach and dealing with early pregnancy. :) I love her name, it is just beautiful.

I think I have to get all simpatico with Zach and call her Blade though, cause that's a butt kickin name ;)

Joy said...

Awww...Naia so fits her. I didn't know the background, but the name is simply lovely and perfect. Love those dolphin shirts!

Cassie said...

a most perfect choice!

vera Vecanski said...

soooooo lovely meaning for a baby girl name.

Anna said...

What a lovely choice. It is a beautiful name, and I love that her name is found in many cultures with similar meanings (all relating to water).

Sarah said...

It is so funny what you wrote about her shunning the ocean and wondering the ocean. We tell a very similar joke about our own daughter going to live in the mountains, with her unique and water inspired name. I guess all parents are worried about the irony of the name they give to a child they have just met.

Baby By The Sea said...

What a lovely name.

Jessica said...

A beautiful name with a beautiful meaning.

mb said...

you know, i have always loved the name naia but never knew the dolphin meaning- i love it more now, as dolphins are the most prominent of my spirit helpers. i have seen it on quite a few boats, and wondered if you got the idea strolling around a marina but the way you describe it is much prettier than "we saw it on someone's stern" lol. i adore all of zach's list, and think the daughter of poseiden bit is hilarious. :)

Simple Mama said...

She is such a beautiful baby. I'm in love with her name, it's meaning, and those outfits. Knock it off. You're making me want another baby. *grin*

Pea said...

Naia is lovely - although Lasagne made me grin.

Angie said...

How sweet! I am not sure if I have commented before, but my daughter's name is Niyah (rhymes with Maya, also).
She always gets compliments about how unique and pretty her name is. I'm sure your sweet girl gets the same. :)

Amanda said...

Beautiful. Yes we often wonder if our little girl will shun our lifestyle so that she can have a proper tree fort. Oh well, that's what the grandparents are for.

The Crew of Savannah said...

I like hearing the story...I think it's a beautiful name! And I love your latest picture through the hatch!

tinsenpup said...

That's just beautiful!

Also, I had a baby fifteen months ago and I really just now feel as if I'm waking from a dream. I'm still fairly stupid with it, blundering about, clueless, but happy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...